Hood County News – July 27, 1996
Transcribed by James M. Windsor
Alonzo Peyton Gordon came to Granbury from Georgia in 1871. He taught school for a time before opening a mercantile store that grew into one of the largest in Hood County. His business was housed in a large stone building that he constructed on the Granbury Square. A cotton gin operator, Gordon also served as superintendent of the local school and in 1898 was elected to the Texas legislature. Gordon built his home here in 1882. Reduced in size in 1956, it remained in the Gordon family until 1982.
Source: Hood County News Photo by Roger Enlow of the Texas Historical Commission plaque attached to the Gordon Home, published July 27, 1996.