The following family biographical note was scanned from the
Hood County Genealogical Society Newsletter No. 9; February 1986
Editor: Merle McNeese
Amon Bond brought his family to an area two and one half miles NE of the present day Granbury, Texas in the early 1850’s. The area was known as Stockton. He came to Texas to claim a land grant of 160 acres that had been assigned to Bond, Benjamin. I have not been able to determine if this Benjamin was his son, his son Benjamin did not come with him, or his brother Benjamin.
According to the grandchildren of Wright, Martha BOND, Amen and Sarah Bond are buried in a small cemetery at the end of South Brazos Street, Granbury, Texas. When the city grew and the graves were moved to the present Granbury Cemetery, the family chose to leave Amon and Sarah graves in the old cemetery. They are now covered with the street. Martha also made the statement that there was seventeen children. This included three sets of twins. Two of the boys went to war and were never heard from.
Amen Bond was born in 1799 TN – died somewhere around Feb. 1870. His will was found in Judge Davies’ papers at the Hood Co.. TX library. It was dated 19 Feb. 1870. He was the fifth child of Bond, Henry b22 Apr. 1757 St. Thomas Parish, MD – d bef 1850 McMinn Co., TN and Gorsuch, Elizabeth, Bond, Henry’s parents were Band Peter III and Butler, Susannah. Henry’s will was dated 26 Dec. 17b2 in Baltimore, MD.
Gorsuch, Elizabeth’s parents were Gorsuch. Lovelace and _. Sarah. Lovelace’s will was dated 9 Dec. 1789 in Baltimore. MD. Amen was married in TN to Carter, Sarah (Sallie) – b 1801 VA or TN. The family story goes that she was at least half Cherokee Indian. Amen and Sarah brought a number of their children and their families with them to Texas. From the following list you can see that many Hood County families are their descendants.
1. Bond, Elizabeth b 1820 TN – d bef 1895 – m 23 Jan 1840 McMinn Co., TN – Peters, Robert G. b 1819 TN
2. Bond, Frances (Franky) b Apr 1823 TN m 1848 TN – Yeats, Austin Newton h 1828 Tn
3. Bond, Henry b 1825 TN m _, Martha J. b 1828 GA They lived in Nolan Co., TX in 1895
4. Bond, Rachael b 1829 TN m Maxwell, Reuben b 1828 TN
5· Bond, Benjamin b 1831 TN
6. Bond, Eleanor (Polly) b 1834
7· Bond, Edmond b 1836 Tn – d 1861/3 TX – m 12 Jul 1860 Johnson Co., twins TX – Landers, Sarah Ann
8. Bond, Charlotte b 1836 TN
9. Bond, Martha b 24 Oct 1838 TN – d 11 Dec 1917 Granbury, TX m @1870 Wright, Andrew Jackson (first sheriff of Hood Co. TX-his first wife was a Nutt) – They had one child Phoebe Eveline b 20 Jun 1875 d 19 Sep 1909 Hood Co., TX – m 1 Dec 1901 Kennon, Bert b 7 Oct 1865 – d 7 Jan 1939 Hood Co. , TX
10. Bond, Bveline b 25 Jul 1879 d 5 Dec 1906 Hood Ca., TX – m 5 Feb 1857 Johnson Co., TX – Gafford, William R. b 4 Feb 1833 AR d 11 June 1917 Hood Go., TX. He came to Texas with the Bond family. They had ten children. The Gafford family lived in the Granbury area for a number of years, then moved to Lipan. William was a farmer.
11. Bond, Eliza J. b 1841 TN m 20 Sep 1859 Chambers, William b 1831 AL
12. Bond, Amen Jr. b 1844 TN