Source: History of Texas Published in 1896
E. H. CHANDLER is conspicuously identified with the business and material interests of Bluff Dale and to-day is at the head of a good lumber and drug business in this place. The man who enters commercial life and wins success must be possessed of several qualifications. He must be energetic and persevering, industrious and of resolute purpose, and must have the ability to see and utilize favorable opportunities or to make them where none exist. These qualifications are salient points in the character of Mr. Chandler, who ranks deservedly high in commercial circles and at the same time is prominent in other public affairs.
Mr. Chandler traces his ancestry back to one of the Revolutionary heroes. His great-grandfather served in the struggle that happily ended in the establishment of the republic, and was a representative of one of the old Virginia families of colonial days. The father of our subject, Henry F. Chandler, was born in Manchester county, Virginia, and when he had arrived at years of maturity married Fannie Harbin, a native of Pickens county, South Carolina. Her father was a native of Scotland and her mother lived to the advanced age of 97 years. Mr. and Mrs. Chandler were the parents of 12 children, eleven of whom reached years of maturity, while seven are still living. The father died at the age of 72 years, the mother at the age of 58.
Mr. Chandler was a very prominent and influential citizen in the community in which he lived and was honored with offices of public trust. In the years 1852, 1853, 1854 and 1855 he was county judge of his county. In 1856 he was elected member of the state legislature and served continuously through 1859. He labored earnestly for the best interests of the district which he represented and was an honored member of the house. On the bench his rulings were models of judicial soundness, ever impartial and just, and he had the highest respect of all who knew him. He and his wife were consistent and valued members of the Baptist church and for 33 years he served as clerk of the Tugaloo association, being the incumbent for 28 consecutive years. At the close of his service the editor of the Anderson (South Carolina) Gazette stated in his paper that he had published the minutes of the association for 28 years and had never found an ungrammatical expression or mispelled [sic] word in the matter furnished by Henry T. Chandler-which is certainly a high tribute to his scholarship.
E.H. Chandler is a native of Georgia. He was born in Franklin county, May 21, 1840, and was the youngest son of the family. His youth was spent on his father’s farm and his educational privileges were limited to the opportunities offered by the common schools. He resided with his parents until he had reached his majority, and on the 20th of August, 1861, became a member of Company A, 24th Infantry, which was joined to the Army of the Potomac. Soon afterward he was transferred to the 3rd Georgia Battalion of Sharpshooters and participated in many hard-fought battles, which called forth the bravery of the men on both sides. Loyal to the cause which he enlisted to defend he participated in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Gaines’ Farm, Savage Station, Malvern Hill and the second battle of Manassas. The regiment of which he was a member was next sent to Chickamaugaa, and after the battle at that place met the union troops at Ringgold, Georgia, and participated in the siege of Knoxville, after which they spent the remainder of the winter at Gordonville, Virginia. In 1864 Mr. Chandler participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Horse Shoe and Hanover Junction, and afterward proceeded to Richmond, 30 miles distant. So constant was his service that from the 12th day of May until the 3rd of June Mr. Chandler was never able to lay aside his clothing as he sought a night’s respose, being constantly ready for duty at a moment’s notice. He was in the service around Petersburg until the surrender of that city, and after receiving his parole started for home, making the long weary journey of 450 miles on foot. He received his first commission from General Lee, May 1, 1862, when he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant, and later he was commissioned first lieutenant.
When the war was over Mr. Chandler went to Atlanta, Georgia, where for eight months he engaged in teaming. He was married May 1, 1866, to Miss Mattie Mintz, a native of that state and a daughter of Major M. and Joyce (Anderson) Mintz, the latter a daughter of General Anderson of Florida, who was one of the most brilliant commanders during the late war. Major Mintz was a native of Virginia. On the 1st of September, 1866, Lieutenant Chandler and his bride started for Texas with a horse and a wagon, and on the 27th of November reached the Brazos river at the place where Granbury is now located. He purchased 320 acres of land from Major Boyd and began the task of transforming it into rich fields, placing 100 acres under the plow. In 1870 he removed to Glen Rose and bought a tract of Milam county school land, and improved 170 acres and followed farming until 1888, when he came to Bluff Dale and entered the lumber business, establishing the yard which he still conducts and building the first house to the place. He has a good trade as a lumber merchant, and in addition to his operations in this line he has, since 1895, owned and conducted a drug business, having the only drug-store in the place. Courteous treatment and well-known honesty in all transactions have secured him a good patronage, and he recognized as one of the leading business men of the county.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Chandler, four in number, are as follows:
Emma F. and
The Chandler household is noted for the hospitality which is so truly a southern characteristic, and the friends of the family form an extensive circle. In his political views Mr. Chandler is a Democrat, zealously advocating the principles of the party. In 1881 he was appointed to the position of deputy sheriff of Hood county and later elected sheriff of Somervell county, acceptably serving in that position for a term of six years, ever discharging his duties with marked fidelity and promptness. He is connected with several civic orders, including the Masonic lodge at Glen Rose and the Odd Fellows society at Bluff Dale. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a most estimable lady.
History of Texas, Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1896