Jesse G. Cooke was born at Cole’s Creek, Mississippi, January 6, 1895. He was “born again” in Pleasant Church, Calhoun County, Mississippi and baptized by Rev. Jim McPhail. He was ordained to the full work of the ministry in the same church on September 8, 1919. The ordaining council was composed of Rev. J.W. Hicks, Rev. J.W. Edwards, and Rev. B.F. McPhail. He received his college training in Clark Memorial College and Mississippi College, both in Mississippi, and his theological training in Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He was married in 1916. He and his wife, Mary, have four daughters and one son. Another son passed away in 1946.
His first pastorate was Beulah Church, Myrick, Mississippi. While pastor there he led his church in ordaining two young ministers. The Cookes came to Texas in 1932, and he has been pastor of a good many Texas churches. While pastor at First Baptist Church in Granbury in 1936, he was elected Moderator of Paluxy Association and presided over two annual sessions. He retired from the pastorate of the First Baptist Church, Somerset, Texas, in 1960. For several years they made their home in Fentress, Texas, where he did pulpit supply and other ministerial duties. They are now living in Lockhart. Failing eyesight has limited his activities.
Paluxy Baptist Association Centennial Story
1880 – 1980