From History of Texas, Published in 1896
JOSEPH BROWN GORDON. The task of writing the biographies of the living representative men of any community is an exceedingly difficult one because of the prevailing modesty of the successful business man, who almost invariably manifests a certain repugnance to anything that partakes of the nature of public notoriety or prominence and thus discourages even friendly attempts to uncover the secret of his success. Genuine success is not likely to be the result of mere chance or fortune, but is something to be labored for and sought out with consecutive effort. Ours is a utilitarian age, and the life of every successful man bears its lesson, and as told in contemporary narration perhaps is productive of the greatest good. Thus there is a due measure of satisfaction in presenting even a brief resume of the life and accomplishments of such a man.
The subject of this review is known to be one of the most eminent and able physicians in Central Texas and today is successfully engaged in the practice of his profession in Paluxy and Hood County, where he has resided since 1881. He was born in Pickens County, Georgia, on the 7th of November, 1857, and is the son of William H. and Sarah C. (Morrison) Gordon, who were also natives of Georgia. The father died when the Doctor was only about seven years of age and the mother afterward married A.W. Huffman. She had two children by the first union-Joseph B. and W.A., the latter a resident of Erath County, and by her second marriage there is one son, Frank W., also of Erath County. Mrs. Huffman died January 19, 1870, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which she was a consistent member. Mr. Gordon was a merchant and a successful business man.
The boyhood of Dr. Gordon was spent on a farm. After his mother’s death he went to live, with his maternal grandfather, with whom be continued to make his home until he had attained majority. He aided in the work of the farm and acquired his literary education largely in the public schools of the neighborhood. Agriculture, however, was not the pursuit that he wished to make a life work, nor was it that for which nature evidently intended him. After he had arrived at years of maturity he took up the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. A.H. Stearns, of Jasper, Pickens County, Georgia, with whom he remained two years. He attended his first two courses of lectures at the Augusta Medical College and was graduated in the spring of 1881, when he came directly to the Lone Star State, locating in Bluff Dale, where he soon built up a very large and lucrative practice. He is a student, constantly seeking advancement; and in order to still further perfect himself in his chosen calling, in 1890 he took a course of lectures in the Southern Medical College at Atlanta. . He continued his residence in Bluff Dale until 1890, when he came to his present location. He now has one of the most extensive practices in this section of the state and his large business has brought to him a handsome competence. Of marked personality and with an indomitable spirit he has steadily risen to the proud position which he today occupies in the medical fraternity of Texas, and has the respect of the public and the confidence of the medical fraternity in a marked degree.
The Doctor was married on the 31st of December, 1887, to Miss Loretta Smith, a native of McMinn County, Tennessee, and a daughter of Milas and Louisa (Armstrong) Smith, who removed with their family to Texas when Mrs.Gordon was a child of three years, locating in Titus County. Six years later they went to Fannin County, and in 1881 came to Hood County.
The Doctor and Mrs. Cordon are the parents of three children, two yet living: Thomas and Nina. Florence Edith died when a year old.
Our subject is a member of Bluff Dale Lodge, No. 396, I.O.O.F., and his political support is given the Democracy. His wife belongs to the Baptist Church. Both are most highly esteemed citizens, and their genuine worth and many estimable qualities have won them the high regard of all with whom they have come in contact.
History of Texas, 1896, Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co.