Since 1874 – Written in 1980
The first Baptist services in the vicinity of Lipan were conducted by Elder John Lockhart in the summer of 1874. The congregation met under two large oak trees near the Baptist cemetery southeast of town. During that year Elder Lockhart, together with Elders Chandler and Christian, organized the Kickapoo Baptist Church in the same location. Elder W.E. Newborn was the first pastor. A church building was constructed near the cemetery.
In 1894 the church voted to move from its original site into the town of Lipan and meet in the school house for an indefinite time. In 1895 the old building was sold and the construction of a new building at the present location was started. The minutes for the years 1898 to 1907 have been lost, but during that period the name of the church was changed from Kickapoo Baptist Church to Lipan Missionary Baptist Church.
In January 1923 the church began to make plans for a new building at a cost of $5,000.00. The building was started in 1927 and completed in 1928. In 1945 the church built a parsonage at a cost of $3,000.00. In 1962 Pastor Howard Ramsey drew the plans and construction was begun on the present auditorium, and in 1975 more Sunday School space was added on the south side of the educational building. In 1979 a new parsonage was constructed at a cost of approximately $55,000.00. Rev. Jack Moore has been the energetic and capable pastor since 1977. Total membership for the centennial session of the association was 539.
Paluxy Baptist Association Centennial Story
1880 – 1980