November 14, 1936
From the Scrapbook of Juanita Windsor McCauley
Submitted by James T. Sears
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 1936
FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM
LAMP BLOWING JUBILEE HELD
Lipan Scene of Welcome to Modern Power Line and Farewell to Kerosene Oil
By C.L. Richhart, Staff Correspondent
In ceremonies which attracted groups from about six other communities, residents of this progressive Hood County town last night discarded the flickering illumination of the oil wick lamp for incandescent brilliance.
They called the occasion Lipan’s Lamp Blowing Jubilee, the celebration marking the completion of 32½ miles of power lines and transformers installed by the Texas Power and Light Company to bring modern electrification to Lipan and a number of smaller communities between here and Mineral Wells.
The transformation from the oil lamp to the magic of electric current was made even more significant when about 100 housewives brought lamps of many shapes and sizes to the jubilee gathering, held in the Lipan school auditorium. Officials of the power and light company had offered prizes for the oldest, tallest, and most elaborate lamps. There were some lanterns, too.
The oldest lamp of the lot was brought in by Mrs. Myrtle Brown. It was of the old brass base, open wick type, and said to be about 75 years old. She received a modern electric parlor lamp in its place. An award for the tallest lamp, an old fashioned lamp of the kind that resembled several fish bowls tacked one on top of the other and decorated in a floral design, went to Mrs. Maurice Taylor. Another old time lamp of fancy design was brought in by Joseph A. King, superintendent of the Lipan school, and won the award for the most elaborate lamp. Dr. Joe R. Gandy (son of Dr. J.H. Gandy) brought in the smallest lamp.
Lipan was brilliantly lighted in observance of the occasion. Streets, stores, homes, the schoolhouse, garages, and a few barns were illuminated with electric lights. The power company reported it has 82 customers already, with a score or more others inquiring about service connections.
Dr. Gandy Presides
Presiding over the lamp blowing ceremonies, which began with Superintendent King, Mrs. Brown, and Mrs. Taylor simultaneously puffing out the lamps they brought along while electric lights in the school auditorium momentarily were switched off, was Dr. J.H. Gandy, veteran physician of Lipan.
Dr. Gandy briefly traced the development of the town, established in 1878 (error), and introduced two other speakers, Frank Briggs, editor of Farm and Ranch, and W.H. Thomson, vice president of Texas Power and Light Company, both of Dallas.
Briggs pointed out that industry is beginning to understand its close relation to agriculture, and that the bringing of modern lighting and power to Lipan and other such communities marked another step toward eliminating isolation of rural towns. Thomson expressed gratification at completion of the power line, declaring that the company felt that the building of the line would be of mutual benefit. Development of more practical wiring and power units made it possible, he said. Allen Guinn, Mineral Wells district manager for the company, supervised the building of the lines.
Jimmy Jefferies, Dallas, was master of ceremonies for an entertainment program which featured the American Legion Tickville Band of Ranger.
WHEN LIPAN BLEW OUT THE LAMPS AND TURNED ON THE LIGHTS
(Star-Telegram Photos with Text)
Four views demonstrate the progressive spirit of Lipan, center of a diversified farming community in Hood County. Friday night the residents of Lipan and several other communities joined in a “Lamp Blowing Jubilee” at Lipan School, in observance of electric lights and power being brought to them.
Three of the numerous oil lamps brought in for a contest sponsored by the Texas Power and Light Company, builders of the power line, are show above at right, as their owners puffed away at the flaming wicks to end officially the use of the oil lamp in Lipan. Left to right: Mrs. Maurice Taylor, who had the tallest lamp; Mrs. Myrtle Brown, shown with the oldest lamp, a 75 year old brass, open-wick model; and Joseph A. King, superintendent of the Lipan School, who had the most elaborate lamp.
Upper left is the Lipan School building where 325 pupils are enrolled.
Below, at the right, is the attractive home of Dr. J.H. Gandy, who presided over the celebration.
Below at left, two of the 23 calves being fed by members of Lipan School’s Future Farmers of America Club for exhibition next Spring at the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show in Fort Worth. Shown with the calves, left to right: Donald Rippetoe and “Skipper,” Miss Loveta Brandon, club sponsor, and Lloyd Wilson and his calf, “Joe Bill.” Forty-seven boys are in the club, taught by James M. Logan, instructor in vocational agriculture.
ADDITIONAL NEWSCLIPPINGS FROM UNKNOWN SOURCE
LIPAN GREETS ELECTRIC POWER EXTENSION
(Photos with text)
1. Crowd which jammed Lipan School Auditorium.
2. Dr. J.H. Gandy, chairman of Lipan “Lamp Blowing Jubilee.”
3. Left to right, winners in lamp blowing contest: Mrs. Maurice Taylor, who brought the tallest lamp; Mrs. Myrtle Brown with 75 year old entry; Joe A. King, school superintendent, who supplied the most ornate lamp.