Hood County’s most prominent building helped spark the preservation of the historic Granbury Town square. The 1891 Second Empire-style courthouse. built of rusticated and detailed native limestone, is the fifth Hood County court-house.
The first county courthouse was a small one-man log cabin. A larger rock courthouse was built as a replacement. but it burned to the ground in 1875. All of the county’s land records and deeds were destroyed in the blaze. Arson was suspected.
The present courthouse was designed by W.C. Dodson of Waco. The total price tag for construction of the courthouse was $40.000. The courthouse clock tower is a frame, clad with sheet metal. The Seth Thomas town clock was installed at the completion of construction.
The restoration of the court-house in 1969 helped to spark local interest in preserving the old Granbury square. Markers on the south side of the courthouse lawn give historical information on Gen. John Bell Hood and Gen. Hiram B. Granbury. Hood County and the City of Granbury were named in honor of the Civil War Confederate officers.
From Hood County News, 1997-98 Newcomer & Visitors Guide, June 28, 1997.