Frank Gaston, Editor & Proprietor


Mrs. Sallie Peveler, mother of J.M., S.H., and F.M. Peveler, and four living daughters, died at the home of her son, J.M. Peveler on Monday evening at 7 o’clock after a continued illness. Grandma Peveler was 90 years old, one month and 2 days old, and had lived in Texas since 1838, having moved to Hood County thirty years ago. Her remains were interred in Temple Hall cemetery on Tuesday afternoon at 4 o’clock. The bereaved family have sympathy of all in their loss.

Mr. P.R. Hargus leaves this week for the Indian Territory where he goes to sell territorial rights for the Racine Wire Tightener.

Poor little Joe Nutt died last Thursday after intense suffering from the hurt he received.

Rev. J.C. Gaston is just recovering from a severe case of la grippe.

The firm of Neely & Connor is this day dissolved by mutual consent, Mr. Connor continuing as proprietor and to collect all accounts. Mr. Neely’s services have been secured to wait on customers. H.I. Neely, V.D. Connor. February 1, 1894.


Mr. John Millican is one of those men that cares a great deal about his lady and baby, so he is preparing for war in time of peace by having a good storm house built.

R.L. Milhollin has bought the drug department and W.J. Aiken the groceries of J.T. Petty. Milhollin will move the post office and drugs into Aiken’s building and Aiken will take possession of the Petty building. Mr. Petty is out of the mercantile business and retains his business house only.

Mr. Yates boasts of a big boy – says it is the finest of his eight children.

Mrs. Pleas Gafford is reported on the sick list this week.

Mr. Buchanan, the gentleman who fell and broke his arm a few weeks hence, will probably lose it, as amputation is almost necessary.


Well, yes; we have thawed; was frozen out last week.

Lillie Porter was on the sick list last week.

Joe and Henry Fine are some better with their rheumatism.

Our art teacher, Miss Berry, is sick.

Mr. Wit Oliver is able to go to work again.

Mr. Martin was on a visit to his step son, Charley Reed, last Sunday, returning home on Monday, taking with him his little daughter, Willie.

Luther Porter moved to the Shand’s place this week.

Larkin Bagwell was off last Sunday to see his best – well, don’t ask him where he went.


Last Friday morning our citizens were much astonished over the killing of George Brown by Frank Adams. Both parties lived together on Adam’s farm, about three miles from Cresson, in Johnson County. No witnesses to the killing, but Adams stated he killed Brown in self-defense. Cause of difficulty unknown.

Mr. Allen and Family, and son-in-law, from Kentucky arrived here yesterday, bringing with them some fine Kentucky horses.

Mrs. Eddy came over from Granbury and spent a few days last week with Mr. Eddy.

Mr. Ed Burnett left yesterday for the West, where he will engage in ranch life.

Mr. G.W. White will soon begin building a new residence.

Mr. Eck Willowby is now making his headquarters in Cresson and is engaged in the patent right business.


An infant child of Mr. Owen West’s has been very sick, but is improving.

Miss Bertha Sellers of Granbury is visiting in the Asbury community this week.

Ask Nath Bowers what became of his mustache.

Mr. Jesse Mason is very sick.

Mr. W.A. Floyd is visiting in Parker county.

Ellis Burnett has moved his family to Granbury, and C.E. Bloss now occupies the house he vacated.

Ballard Thomason is now occupying room 147 in the Elliott House, in the elegant parlors of which he will be pleased to meet his friends.


Messrs. Stokes and Curl went to Granbury on Friday of week with cotton.

Mr. Ike Tinnin has had his men on road duty this week.

Mrs. Sallie Wood, wife of Mr. Hugh Wood, was buried in Rock Church Cemetery today.

George Woods, John Randle, and Wallace Bailey were each presented with a boy last week.

Reprinted from Hood County Genealogical Society Newsletter dated Feb. 1991