Instructions Unclaimed Marriage Certificates

Many married couples did not pick up their original marriage certificate from the Hood County Clerk’s office. These certificates remained on file in the Clerk’s Office – some of them since 1888.

In early 2000 the County Clerk transferred custody of the unclaimed certificates (1888 through 1960) to The Hood County Genealogical Society for deposit in the Granbury Depot Archives.

These original certificates may be claimed by descendants of the persons named on the certificate. There is no charge for this service. To claim a certificate mail a letter to:

Hood County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1623
Granbury, Texas 76048

Enclose a stamped, self addressed, #10 envelope, with a note with your U.S. Mail address, e-mail address, the names and date of the marriage and a descendents chart with names showing your family relationship to the married couple. Family relationship includes parents, grandparents, uncles/aunts or great uncles/aunts etc.



Note: If Name In Index List Is Struck Through The Certificate Has Already Been Claimed.