Andrew Jackson Morgan was born March 17, 1884, the son of James Madison and Parilee Isabel (Nichols) Morgan, near Leighton, Alabama. The family moved when Andy was one year old to Mississippi and in 1891 they moved to Texas. Andy had very little school instruction until he was 20 years of age. By that time he was married and the father of a son. On August 12, 1902, he married Miss Minerva Adeline Thomas. A son and a daughter were born to them.
Information is lacking about the time of his conversion. He began preaching about 1904 and within a few months was well known throughout the association and in demand as an evangelistic preacher. His name is listed as a licensed preacher in the 1904 minutes of Paluxy Association. He was ordained before the 1905 session either at Tolar or at Mt. Moriah, which was the first church to call him as pastor. In 1905 he was chosen as Missionary of Paluxy Association for half time. The other two Sundays were given to pastoral work with two quarter time churches.
He enrolled in the fourth grade in the Tolar Public School at age 20 and worked as janitor to pay his tuition. In 1907 he enrolled in the preparatory department of Simmons College (now Hardin-Simmons University) and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 1914. During his years in college he was an active pastor of small churches and in evangelistic work during the summer months. In 1915 he became a field representative for Simmons College and in 1917 he joined the evangelistic staff of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Soon after the United States entered World War I, he joined the Y.M.C.A. for oversea service and spent many months with the fighting men in Europe.
In 1919 he was called as pastor of the First Baptist Church of Breckenridge. The present building of that church was built during his pastorate. Because of failing health he resigned in 1924. He also helped to raise money to build churches for the colored brethren. Although retired from the active pastorate he continued to be active in civic duties as a good citizen. He continued to visit the sick and needy and to bring comfort and hope to those in need of such comfort. He served as a member of the Local Board of Selective Service for Stephens County and of the War Bonds Committee. The list of honors and awards bestowed upon him would rival that of our greatest national heroes. He was called to his higher home November 7, 1950.
Information furnished by Mrs. Joe Cahill, whose first husband, James Jefferson Morgan, was the son of A.J. Morgan.
Paluxy Baptist Association Centennial Story 1880 – 1980