1839 – 1918
Benjamin John Carter was born in Mississippi April 23, 1839, the son of Deacon William J. and Rebecca (Meadors) Carter. Information is lacking concerning his conversion and baptism. At the beginning of the Civil War he enlisted in the Confederate Army and fought in many battles throughout the war. Although participating in many battles he was never wounded. Before the war was over all of his four younger brothers were in the service and all came home. Immediately after the close of the war he moved with his father’s family to southern Arkansas, where he lived for the next ten years. On September 6, 1865, he was married to Miss Caroline Lewis, who also had moved with her father’s family from Mississippi to Arkansas. Six children, four sons and two daughters, were born to this union, all but the oldest son living to adulthood.
B.J. Carter was licensed to preach January 11, 1868, and ordained to the full work of the gospel ministry May 29, 1870. The ordaining council was composed of Elders William Daniel, D.E. McGraw, John Aaron, and Deacon William J. Carter. He served as pastor of several churches in Arkansas until 1875. In 1875 he moved with his family to Hood County, Texas, where he spent the rest of his life, farming through the week and preaching on weekends. In 1887 he was elected Moderator of Paluxy Association and was elected several times after that. He presided as Moderator over seven sessions of the association. He was called from this life April 22, 1918 and was buried on his 79th birthday. At that time he was the only one of the original messengers who had never missed an annual session of Paluxy Association. His funeral service was conducted by Rev. M.M. Robinet. Rev. J.N. Chandler placed a chair by the casket and sat by the body of his long-time friend and co-laborer throughout the service. Together they had assisted in establishing many of the churches of Paluxy Association, and at different times each had served as pastor of many of them.
|Reverend Carter was buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Hood County, Texas.|
Paluxy Baptist Association Centennial Story
1880 – 1980