Charles G. Mullins,
1888 – 1931, and
Charles G. Mullins, Jr.

Charles G. Mullins was the last son, and the last child, born into the family of Thomas P. and Nannie E. Mullins. He was born in Granbury, Texas, July 28, 1888.

Charles Mullins attended the public school in Granbury.  Charles was a likeable and capable young man.  For some time he worked in the grocery store of W.B. Daniels as clerk and delivery man.  For a time he and Tommie Robertson ran a tailor shop and cleaning and pressing parlor.  For several years he was a clerk in the Granbury Post Office during the time when Henry Zweifel was postmaster. Your author remembers seeing Charles and his brother Joe riding horses Roman style along the road in front of my house.  However, the bee that “spurred” some of his brothers on the head to be cowboys did not spur Charlie. He became the businessman type and had commercial interests.

Charlie was a veteran of World War I, having served for nineteen months with Company I, 359th Infantry, 90th Division. He spent ten months in France, and was in several engagements on St. Mihiel and other fronts.  Charles was a gun expert and was a sharpshooter during the war.

Charles Mullins was married in Dallas, Texas, on December 4, 1920, to Miss Bertha Pemberton.  Soon after the marriage they went to DeQueen, Arkansas where he engaged in the grocery business for a time.  In July 1929 he became part owner and was manager of the Nehi Bottling Company.

Charlie Mullins was a public spirited citizen, and had many friends.  At the time of his death he had been a member of the City Council for three years.  He was finance officer for the local post of the American Legion. He was president of the men’s Bible class of the Baptist church. He wasa stockholder in the DeQueen Country Club, and would have been elected to the board of governors at the annual meeting scheduled to be held the same week in which he died. For two years he held the club golf championship honors. He was a Royal Arch Mason of the Shrine.  While Charles was active in a different field from those which other members of the Mullins boys were active in, Charles carried out the family characteristic of doing what he did well.

Charlie’s death was a tragic one. He came home for the noon hour. He played with the baby for a few moments.  Then his wife mentioned that it was time for the automobile license to be paid. He went into the bedroom to get the papers out of the dresser drawer.  In the drawer was an old pistol intended for his wife’s use when he was away from home.  In getting the papers out of the drawer, somehow the pistol was discharged, inflicting on Charles a fatal wound.  He died February 9th, 1931, in DeQueen,Arkansas.  His wife continued to live in DeQueen, where she died in 1970 of cancer.  His son, who was ten months old at the time of Charles’ death, is engaged in the mercantile business in DeQueen. The name of his son is Charles G. Mullins, Jr.